Featured post

Deathly Chill

Welcome All!

If you know me and have had a chance to have your fortune told, you will know how accurate divining can actually be.

My special gift is being able to read people's energy patterns through things they touch. Alot of times, I use the change in their pockets.

If you are in Newfoundland, I encourage you to book a reading. It's quite fun to see what the spirits in your life have been aching to let you in on.

Friday, November 4, 2016

The Windy Tree

Wounded I hung on a wind-swept gallows
For nine long nights,
Pierced by a spear, pledged to Odhinn,
Offered, myself to myself
The wisest know not from whence spring
The roots of that ancient rood
(translation of Odin's Havamal by Auden)


I wanted to explain something about this poem by the Allfather, Odin - co-creator of the Northern Peoples.  Odin had gone looking for the runes he buried beneath a sacred tree, a tree his followers had vowed to protect in honor of him. (I have buried my Tarot cards more than once, when they told me disturbing things, so I can relate.) Now, I believe this tree is the Golden Apple Tree of Iddun, the one that ended up with mistletoe feasting upon it  (mistletoe mingles with other plant hosts and taps into their root systems).  The runes he buried so long ago that generations of his creations have passed and these new protectors of his tree do not recognize the man to be their god.  He is caught up in a noose meant to snare anyone who gets too close to the sacred tree.  They pierce him with a spear and leave him there to die, as an offering to their god, Odin, which they have begun to pronounce differently than he is used to.  He finds this amusing, that he is being offered to himself.  It is not an intentional sacrifice; he just came to get the runes, but he does find it ironic.  He does not die, of course, or else we wouldn't have the poem - which continues, but for tonight I shall end here.  Till tomorrow!


No comments:

Post a Comment